Friday, November 24, 2006

…finally!

Or how else do I tag this blog?
Maybe not exactly finally!
Because this, really is just transiting from one level of existence to another-or is it from one stage of life to another-and really there may not be any note of finality.
But come to think of it, when one’s path is constantly troubled and each time one attempts progress, one obstacle or the other evolves in the path (or so it seems) that causes time dilation, the END becomes elusive and the MEANS becomes uncomfortable.
Ok enough all this philosophical jabbering!

A few days back, precisely 17th Oct. 2006, I was invited to the Head of Department’s office (as an undergraduate, Olabisi Onabanjo University Ago-Iwoye Ogun State, Nigeria, reading Physics) to fill the NYSC Mobilization form. NYSC-is short for National Youth Service Corps-a compulsory and not ‘voluntary’ one year service to the fatherland which all freshly graduated (from all tertiary institutions) under the age of 30 are required to undertake else …ok! I will do a blog on the NYSC, later on.
Yeah filing the form was emotional!
Finally after 6 instead of 41/2 years, I am graduating - 9 months pre-degree + 31/2 years full time study.
My mind reeled to my 1st time at this University having earlier applied to study Chemical Engineering at a neighbouring University. I was finally accepted into the pre- degree program of the OOU to study Geology. That was 2001- a year of self-discovery-at least partial.
That year, I discovered my innate skills, interests and capabilities and finishing one of the best 100 students of 2700 or thereabout and considering the events prior to my admission and the 1st few days of school, that was a feat!?*
I opted to study Physics with the believe that there lies the explanation for the existence of life and possibly the hereafter but was I shocked?
Yeah shocked with the stark abstractness of modern Physics-Quantum mechanics-while still contending with the reality of Newtonian mechanics.
In retrospect! I honestly, may not have found fulfillment anywhere else, the challenges here though nerve wrecking has contributed in making a strong and resolute person of me.
Though it is clear am not making a 1st class (as it is a battle between a 2nd upper and a 2nd lower) I hope it shall be a upper. I wont be shocked with whatever the reality eventually begets as I have over the years done the SWOT analysis and have my mind prepared for the worst, while confidently working and hoping for the best.
While I’m not the extremely bookish person, I have my fair share of “exceptionality”.
While on campus I won several laurels and served the community. Yeah-(remind me to put this in my CV) I got involved with the Directorate of students affairs and was invited thrice (only honoured two) to deliver orientation lectures to freshly admitted undergraduates. (These were great moments when I attempted to put into force my believe in ‘peer partnership’ and positive peer pressure to work)

The laurels included:
2002: 1st place essay competition: National Association of Science Students, OOU Chapter, and was presented the award by the deputy speaker of the Ogun state House of Assembly (I wrote on the immerse benefits of Science & Technology to our collective existence).
2003- Outstanding Student of the Year, Faculty of Science OOU (NASS)

2004-Exemplary studentship (OOU Governing Council, 2004 Convocation Awards)

I had challenges- had to write Chemistry 102 twice, which translated to 4 units carry over and I scored a number of Ds and Es where I believe I should have done better considering the level of work I put into preparation and the quality of answers I supplied-Oh! That’s a common excuse on campus.

I completed the forms amidst shouts and screams of celebration, amidst my other colleagues. I humbly left the office for the library to continue preparation for my final exams.
A tear dropped


N.B.
Somebody please remind me to:
* Do a thank you blog for all lectures who had taught me.
* Do an analysis on my experience on campus
* Kabiyesi- the Almighty lecturer.

No comments: