Thursday, November 30, 2006

...a story

For close to three years, I toiled day and night to document the events in the lives of a cross section university undergraduates with a view to identify the practices and activities that leads to a successful university career.
The passion with which I pursued this project zealously was born of my discovery that most anti-success vices found amongst students are a result of peer influence, thus channeling this influence positively can rid the society of the identified vices and help undergraduates have a fulfilling university career, ready to contribute their developmental quota to the society upon graduation.

The product of my toil is “STUDENTS’ SURVIVAL KIT” a book written in simple English and with the twin aims of providing guidance for freshly admitted undergraduates and a worthy companion for all undergraduates throughout their stay in the university.

Below is a synopsis of the book

1. The University in Nigeria
The book opens with a brief but concise description of the evolution of the University system of tertiary education in Nigeria.
2. University administration
A detailed description of officers and processes that ensures the smooth running of the university
3. Important terms
There are several jargons that stares a new comer in the face upon arrival in the university and in this chapter I attempt an explanation of all of such terms and by so doing introduce the typical reader to the university. The chapter closes with a tale of my confusion with some of these terms when I arrived at the university newly.
4. Personal study habits
In this chapter I introduce and describe my adaptation of the traditional SQ3R method of studying favored by educators and educational psychologists the world over.
The chapter is divided into 3 Units thus:
Unit 1: Guidelines to effective personal study
Unit 2: The traditional SQ3R studying method
Unit 3: Taking notes from a text book.
5. Tips for studying in groups
Having noted that it is common for students to study and undertake several academic activities in groups, I have in this chapter shared my thoughts and experiences on what makes such endeavors a success. The chapter is broken into two sizable chunks thus:
Unit 1: general tit bits
Unit 2: factors that contribute to a good study group.
6. Location of study
In this chapter I dwell on factors that affect the location of one’s study such that studying there can be a delightful and exciting experience. I also highlighted the need to use the Library and emphasized the role of proper conduct in using the library and library resources.
This chapter is divided into two units thus:
Unit 1: the essentials
Unit 2: using the library.
7. Time management and Study
Here I explained the fundamental fact that time is a limited resource that must be put into meaningful use for any one to achieve success in any endeavor.
I described my experience at arriving at time schedules each semester to allow for a meaningful use of my time.
I also expressed the need to prioritize and suggested tips I have found useful in arriving at an effective personal time plan.
8. Taking Examinations
Here I suggested tips for preparing for and passing examination while examining the several erroneous approaches to examination popular amongst students with a view to discourage those practices.
9. Calculating your G.P.A. and C.G.P.A
Here I disclosed the rudiments of calculating GPA and the CGPA and the relation of these measuring tools to the final grade of degree obtainable in the university, so students can monitor their academic standing as they progress in their study. In the event that errors are discovered between what is calculated by a student and what is published by the authorities, the necessary steps to take in ensuring the errors are corrected are described.
10. Managing your finances
This chapter exposes the typical freshman to some of the financial commitments and traps on the university campus viz:
Unit 1: meeting living costs
Unit 2: the habit saving
Unit 3: raising extra cash
11. Managing your health
How do I handle ailments?
Where do I go to get medical attention?
What do I do to prevent me from taking ill?
I attempted to answer these and many other questions relating to an undergraduates health issues.
I close the chapter with a story from my early days in the university that chronicles the need to report sickness to the right authorities.
12. Socials
Described the social setting of the university and I identified the need for moderation.
This chapter is broken into sizable units thus:
Unit 1: the SUG and other associations
Unit 2: clubs and partying
Unit 3: on dressing well
13. Cultism
The ugly evil on campus is stripped and the activities and methods of its’ perpetrators exposed so as to help “freshers” avoid these nefarious groups.
14. The final word
A series of general advice for the freshman and stalite alike aimed at expressing the overall aim of the book.

No comments: